Saturday, November 17, 2012

Italian Chicken

So I'm not really sure what to say about this recipe.  I am skeptical of putting artichokes in a red sauce.... I ended up using San Marzano tomatoes instead of the romas because I felt like there wasn't going to be enough sauce made to put this recipe over pasta.  The artichokes could be left out it is just too gross with the red sauce.  It came out kind of bland even though I used a lot of salt and pepper... Roma tomatoes produce a lot of water so the flour is needed.  I used parm cheese and Mozz but it just really wasn't that good.!  And you should at least cook it at 375 for at least 45 mins.. I did 350 for 35 and it came out raw. Besides that I was annoyed I had to cook the chicken an extra 20mins and I lit my pot holder on fire and filled the kitchen with smoke!  I definitely would not make this again!  too bland.. Maybe just use a jar sauce and forget the roma tomatoes and artichokes .. Then again just forget the recipe cuz at that point it'll be called Chicken Parm.. Score:4 


Photobucket

Core and chop about 4-5 roma tomatoes. {I'm sorry if you're a "tomater-hater"... you're probably disgusted by all my recipes!} Just know you're reeeeally missing out!
Thinly slice two cloves of garlic.
Drain a small jar of artichoke hearts.
Place all ingredients in a bowl and pour in a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, a generous amount of S&P, a teaspoon of sugar, a couple tablespoons of flour {since the chicken will produce so much liquid}.
Place the tomato mixture in with the boneless skinless chicken breasts {that are generously seasoned with S&P}. Place in a 350 degree oven and bake until the chicken is almost done.
Take the almost done chicken out of the oven and sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top. Place the chicken under the broiler for a few minutes {keep an eye on it!} until the cheese is golden brown and the vegetables are caramelized
When you pull the chicken out of the oven, sprinkle some fresh basil on top and the heat of the dish will wilt the basil.

2 comments:

  1. I followed this recipe EXACTLY and it came out so delicious....even with the artichokes. I gave the recipe to a co-worker (Rachael) and her family loved it. I'm definitely making it again. The tomato and artichoke juices made their own sauce...no need to add red sauce. I also pounded my chicken out to 1/4-1/2 inch thick, so the cooking time worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wait....I did alter it a tad....I seasoned my chicken with Penzey's "Mural of Flavors" spice. This give it a great flavor.

    ReplyDelete